(This page is being revised.)
In feudal times, Bobbing was a Manor, subordinate to Milton adjoining. Bobbing Court was the residence of its lord.
In the 14th Century,
Bobbing was the seat of the Savage family, and the Clifford family
appears to have been connected with it as well. From the
Cliffords, it passed briefly to the St Leger family through Mary
Southwell (1566-1603) wife of Sir Conyers Clifford and later of Sir
Anthony St Leger (1539-1613,) but was sold after her death. A
family transcription, probably from a headstone, mentions that John
Boykett (abt 1715–1785)
and his wife Sarah were "late of" Bobbing Court. The family
apparently moved there during John's lifetime, and it was the family
home until shortly before 1800, when Thomas' grandfather William
built his own house at the nearby locality of Keys Street.
Thomas' father Charles was born at Bobbing Court.
Titus Oates, remembered as the creator of the "Popish Plot", a fictitious political attack on Charles II and Catholics in general, was appointed Vicar of Bobbing in 1672, but was soon dismissed for misconduct. A tradition arose that he had lived at Bobbing Court, but its occupant at that time was George Moore. There was probably a Vicarage for his use.
A Land Tax assessment dated 1796 shows William Boykett as a major landowner at Bobbing. He built his own house at Keys Street, in the Parish, about 1795. He seems to have lived at Bobbing Court prior to then - he leased the largest allotment - but the suggestion that it was occupied by somebody else (see following) rather goes against that. In the 1790's, Bobbing Court was owned by the Tyndale family, who had as well, the right to appoint a vicar to the Parish Church, St. Bartholomew's. Some time before 1798 the current owner, who had apparently been there since 1757, pulled it down. Its ruins remained until 1830. A new Georgian residence was erected on an opposite corner. Exactly when it was built, is unknown. Tyndale may have had it ready to move into. In 1976, the owner told visitors that it dated from "the middle 1700's." This would support that theory.
I have put a photo of the current building on the downloads page.